For this week we will be going over different poses for photography and why they are important.
Whether you are the model or the photographer, posing is a key part of taking your photos to the next level. No matter how amazing your equipment may be, if the model is rigid and boring the photos will never reach their full potential!
The initial fear of the model while posing for photos is that they will come across as “fake” or “unnatural” with their poses. For the Photographer the fear lies behind coming off as aggressive with their demands. (We have all seen the movies of the photographer yelling at the model to do a backflip while juggling bowling pins.)
In order for you to rock those photo shoots and choose the perfect pose for the Occassion, lets go over some tips for both Women and Men poses.Women:
If you are simply looking for a list of different pose ideas, go ahead and check out this Guide of 21 different poses specifically for women.
Think about the hair. If you are going in for a shoot be sure to consider which hair style will look best for the message being portrayed. (Also be sure to think about hair styles that won’t get in the way with different poses!)
(With this up-do, the model is easily able to try out different poses in front of our Printed Backdrop without having to perfectly place every strand after every shot.)
- Women like to be beautiful in their photos, so it is important to make each pose flattering for the individual model.
- Relax! Nothing is more obvious in a photo than a stiff or uncomfortable pose. Make sure to stay comfortable (or keep your model comfortable with encouragement) and don’t get too self conscious when testing out different ideas.
(In this photo the model is cool and relaxed on our Blue Plexiglass Prop)
Again, if you are looking for a simple list of beginner mens poses go ahead and check out this specialized Guide of over 21 Men specific poses.
- Just as you want to enhance a woman’s strength with her pose, with male poses you want to showcase the male form in a masculine way.
- Confidence is Key. As a man, it is key to not be timid or shy when posing. Really own your pose and the confidence will show through.
(Standing in front of this White Brick Backdrop the model shows of his confidence with this cool and collected pose. Not many can pull off that scarf!)
- Always be thinking about the posture. Keep that chin out and shoulders broad. (But watch out for the trap of going too broad and looking like a chimp!)
Tips for Everyone:
- Prepare some ideas before going to the photoshoot. There will be a ton of poses you forgot to try out right when the shoot ends. (trust me)
- Feel free to experiment! Even if you have a whole pan prepared before the shoot never be afraid to take a chance and do something crazy. You may end up with a golden moment!
(Using our Photography Floors this model took a chance and ended with with a unique and memorable photo!)
- Finally… Have Fun! Life is too short to stress about a big shoot. This is art you are creating on both sides of the camera, so enjoy it.
“AS ALWAYS, WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS WEEKS BLOG! LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW AND LETS ALL GO OUT AND POSE TO OUR HEART’S CONTENT!
ALSO, PLEASE REMEMBER TO SHARE THIS POST SEE WE CAN GET EVERYONE OUT THERE LOOKING AMAZING!
UNTIL NEXT TIME-“